Jazz & roots jamaican music mixed up !
Drawing from instrumental ska groups as well as the big band tradition, Jah Jazz Orchestra explores the threads between these genres to create a unique blend of « roots » groove and improvisation. Ska, reggae, rocksteady : the arrangements revisit standards from the jazz and jamaican repertoire in a new way.
The blend of horns, both a powerful section and fiery soloists, and a rock-solid and explosive rhythm section creates a music that’s exciting, dancing and full of surprise. But that doesn’t stop the band from expressing the more touching and spiritual aspects of this music.
Born from Lausanne-based jazz musicians’ passion for jamaican music from the 60’s, and in order for them to share it on stage, Jah Jazz Orchestra is a group of friends that want to spread good vibes, give and have a good time.
Jah Jazz Orchestra is :
Yves Marcotte :bass, artistic direction
Léon Phal : alto sax
Louis Billette : tenor sax
Shems Bendali : trumpet
Zacharie Ksyk : trumpet, trombone
William Jacquemet : trombone
Andrew Audiger : piano, keyboard
Théo Duboule : guitar
François Christe : drums
Mixing jazz standards from multiple eras and aesthetics, as well as two classics from the Skatalites repertoire, drawing from grooves ranging from ska to reggae and two-tone… Introducing Jah Jazz Orchestra’s unity is hinted by its title : it introduces us to the unique sound of a new project.
1. Ska La Parisienne – Anthony Dietrich Buclin : trombone & Arthur Donnot : baryton sax
2. Just Ska With Me – Solal Excoffier : guitar
3. Black Narcissus – Solal Excoffier : guitar
4. Fools Rush In
5. Work Song – Arthur Donnot : baryton sax
6. King Solomon – Anthony Dietrich Buclin : trombone & Arthur Donnot : baryton sax
7. The Mystery Song – Solal Excoffier : guitar
8. Manteska – Solal Excoffier : guitare, Anthony Dietrich Buclin : trombone & Arthur Donnot : baryton sax
9. St. Louis Skank – Solal Excoffier : guitar
10. Tin Tin Deo – Anthony Dietrich Buclin : trombone
12. Let’s Cool One
Recorded September 8-9 2019 by Antoine Estoppey at Blend Studio
Edited by Yves Marcotte
Mixed March-April 2020 by Top’s at Retromixer
Mastered by Dave Darlington at Bass Hit Studio
Artwork & layout by Felix Vincent
Produced by Yves Marcotte
There are no upcoming events.
There are no past events.